The Pullman Building

In 1884 George Pullman bought a parcel of land on the Southwest corner of Michigan Avenue and Adams Street just to the east of Chicago's central business district. He spent about $800,000 to build this skyscraper that would contain Pullman Palace Car Company offices and apartments. George Pullman's office was on the ninth floor just below the corner turret with a flag pole. During the legal battle in the aftermath of the Pullman boycott Clarence Darrow subpoenaed George Pullman to testify but when the deputy marshal arrived at the Pullman Building with the writ, he was told that Pullman was not in. Later when Pullman was notified of the subpoena he left by a side exit and soon left the city to avoid service of process. The building was demolished in 1956.